Hand holding hand

Help with flood recovery

If you've been impacted by the floods, in the first instance contact Service NSW on 13 77 88 to help you find rapid and relevant assistance for your unique situation.

The Service NSW website has a Disaster Assistance Finder tool which can get you started.

For all road closures, re-openings and updates visit MidCoast Council's Flood damaged roads & bridges webpage. Information and advice will appear here as we get it, and this page will be updated regularly.

In a natural disaster event, information and advice will appear here and be updated regularly.

If a road is not on the website please contact Customer Service on 02 7955 7777 to notify us of the need.

If you aren’t sure where to go or who to ask about getting help with flood recovery Service NSW is the best place to start. Phone Service NSW or visit their Flood Recovery website on 13 77 88 or visit their webpage.

Service NSW is working in partnership with fellow State Agencies, MidCoast Council and the Australian Government to provide impacted people with information on and access to:

  • Accommodation advice
  • Replacing lost documents
  • Mental health and wellbeing services
  • Support for businesses
  • Clean-up services
  • Financial assistance
  • Insurance and legal support

If you would like information about local flood recovery support ring Council’s Community Recovery team on 02 7955 7543.

National Recovery and Resilience Agency

The National Recovery and Resilience Agency's network of Recovery Support Officers (RSOs) help recovery and resilience in communities affected by disaster or drought.

They can help connect you with the right support for your situation, and provide information, referrals and engage to gather front line information.

Visit the National Recovery and Resilience Agency website for further information about the organisation.

Karen Anderson
Recovery Support Officer
National Recovery and Resilience Agency
0409 675 271

Recovery Support Services for primary producers or rural landholders impacted by floods

Recovery Support Services will link you to your own personalised recovery support worker, who can help you navigate and access services and disaster assistance packages.

Department of Primary Industries Rural Recovery Support Service
Ph: 0448 077 684
Email: flood.recovery@dpi.nsw.gov.au

MidCoast Council has received funding from Resilience NSW to support the community in flood recovery.

If you have ideas for community events that would support flood recovery, contact Janine Friedrich, Community Recovery Officer Ph: 02 7955 7543 or email: Recovery@midcoast.nsw.gov.au.

Upcoming community recovery events are publicised through our Disaster Recovery newsletters,

If you are a primary producer who has been impacted by the 2022 floods, below are a helpful range facts sheets that provide further information about support and assistance.

Fact sheets:

Department of Primary Industries Natural disaster assistance guide for primary producers

Assistance with animal welfare issues

Caring for livestock in times of flood

Horse care after floods

Pasture recovery after a coastal flood

If you require accommodation assistance, please call: Compass Housing 1300 333 733.

If you need help with sourcing specific items that will help you with your flood recovery, local charities are the best place to ask for assistance.

If you would like to donate, The GIVIT website lists items currently needed by people. You can select an item and choose to either donate or fund it. GIVIT has partnered with the State Government to manage donations to make sure people and communities get exactly what they need, when they need it.

You can also list an item for donation or give money that will be used to buy exactly what's needed.

Please visit GIVIT to donate

View the How to Use Givit flyer

If you need help with getting specific items to move your recovery further on, consider requesting the donation of a specific item through an organisation registered with Givit - head to the Individuals seeking assistance webpage for further information.

After a natural disaster event, there may be disaster funding relief available to support you. Below are some assistance options available.

NSW Government assistance

To find out information on personal hardship and distress assistance contact Service NSW on 13 77 88.

The Service NSW website has a Disaster Assistance Finder tool to help you find rapid and relevant assistance for your unique situation.

Visit the NSW Rural Assistance Authority to find out what grants or loans you may be able to apply for during a natural disaster event.

The RAA also requests that primary producers report flood-related damage including stock and fodder losses, damage to crops, pastures, fencing and other farm infrastructure through the Natural Disaster Damage Survey. This helps to inform the severity and regional distribution of the damage to support targeted resources and assistance in appropriate areas.

For more information on how the RAA can assist you, please call 1800 678 593 or email rural.assist@raa.nsw.gov.au.

Manning Valley Neighbourhood Services

Provides direct financial support and assistance to people having difficulty paying bills or accessing items for personal needs. Please call 02 6553 5121 for an assessment. Open Monday -Thursday 9am - 3pm.

Motor vehicle stamp duty relief

Motorists whose cars have been written off as a result of a natural disaster may be eligible for a stamp duty refund on their replacement vehicle.

Contact Revenue NSW: 1300 139 814

Mid North Coast Financial Counselling Service

Mid North Coast Financial Counselling Service can assist with mortgages, car loans and credit card arrears, accessing super or other entitlements, or if there is enough income to make ends meet or just listen and provide options that might not have been thought of or known about.

The service can advocate on your behalf with banks, insurance companies, superannuation funds or any other organisation which you might need to deal with in regard to your financial situation. This is a free service.

Please get in touch below for further assistance.

Pauline Smith Ph: 0457 628 302

Steven McWilliams Ph: 0448 676 091

General health support

The Primary Health Network may be able to assist with a range a programs for disaster-affected people.

You can also access free mental health support through the Farmgate Support Program, the contact details are:

Farmgate Support Program 0477 322 851

Local Farmgate Support Worker:
Leanne Tilse 0419 747 276
Email: Leanne.Tilse@health.nsw.gov.au

Mental health support

If you are experiencing mental health issues as a result of the flood emergency, you can call the:

NSW Mental Health Line anytime on 1800 011 511.
Mensline – 1300 789 978
Kids Helpline – 1800 55 1800
Beyondblue – 1300 22 4636
Lifeline - For those seeking crisis support call 13 11 14, text 0477 13 11 14 or visit the Lifeline website.

Manning Mental Health Disaster Recovery

Mental Health Disaster Recovery Clinicians are still available in our local area to assist people affected by these events to have access to emotional support & the right level of mental health care.

This is a confidential and free service.

Jinu Abraham
Disaster Recovery Clinician
Social Worker
0407 609 690
Email: Jinu.Abraham2@health.nsw.gov.au

Rural Adversity Mental Health Program

The Rural Adversity Mental Health Program links people to local mental health services and resources, educates workplaces and communities about mental health and wellbeing and responds in times of natural disasters and severe adversity. Visit the Rural Adversity Mental Health Program website for more information.

Australian Red Cross

Visit the Red Cross website for help to check in with those affected by floods, or to give support, or receive assistance.

For people living with a disability

IDEAS is a national disability information service. They are open and have lots of emergency information at their fingertips. Their phone number is 1800 029 904.

Mould removal and air quality

If you are concerned about mould, please read the NSW Health Fact Sheet for guidance.

If you are insured, speak to your insurer first to find out exactly what your policy covers, and how the insurer wants you to dispose of flood damaged items.

Take plenty of photos of the damage prior to cleaning up.

If you have issues with your insurer, get in contact with the Insurance Council of Australia at www.insurancecouncil.com.au. Free legal help in flood recovery is also available from:

  • Mid North Coast Community Legal Centre: 6580 2111 or
  • Legal Aid Disaster Response Legal Service: 1800 801 529

Please read the fact sheet from Resilience NSW before you engage tradespeople to help with recovery or repairs to property.

If you are a first responder, or a family member of a first responder, you may also need support.

Contact Fortem Australia
Clinical Team: 1300 33 95 94 Email: info@fortemaustralia.org.au

Service NSW

Service NSW has a dedicated help centre for businesses in disaster declared areas, including the MidCoast. They can help with personalised support, business loans and financial assistance, legal support, insurance assistance, mental health support, Telco support and more resources.

The Business Centre

Business Connect by the Business Centre is a dedicated and personalised NSW Government program that provides trusted advice to help you start or grow your small business.

The first step to accessing the Business Connect program is to call on 4925 7700 so that your needs can be assessed.
After registering, you can unlock four hours of business support at no cost. If your business is facing business disruption due to drought, fire, flood or COVID-19, talk to the team and increase your free hours of support to 60 hours. Click here for more information.

Chess Connect

The Business Resilience Project by Chess Connect offers free workplace wellbeing mentorship, workshops and consults for local small business operators. For more information, visit their website or Phone 1800 899 017.

For more information, have a read of the Service NSW storms and floods business support fact sheet.

MidCoast Council is fast tracking development applications for flood-affected structures that require rebuilding. Contact Aaron Green, Coordinator Fast Track Approvals through our Customer Service team on 02 7955 7777 prior to lodging your application. Normal fees will apply, however you will be fast tracked providing your lodgement is complete (it includes all the relevant information, plans, specifications, survey and engineering design/certificate).

Not sure where to start? We recommend contacting Aaron to assist you through the process.

It is imperative that a flood level certificate from Council is obtained at the design stage of the project. The flood level certificate will specify the flood levels for the site and will be utilised by building designers/architects in the preparation of plans that will comply with council’s flood controls.
During normal business hours, you can also access an on-duty building surveyor to answer all related building enquiries without an appointment.

Head back to the Disaster Recovery Hub