A long-awaited upgrade to Hawks Nest Community Centre is currently awaiting final approvals before construction can commence. The development application (DA) has been approved with some conditions. The building designer is including these conditions in the construction certificate application.
The renovations will provide upgraded facilities and more space, making the Centre better suited to community needs.
The existing Centre, opened in 1970, comprises a small community hall and demountable building. Following extensive community consultation, we will soon be ready to move forward with plans to transform this important community hub.
By providing more spacious rooms, improving access and parking and upgrading the building’s technological capacity, the renovations will help create a better place for gathering, social activities and a space to be enjoyed by all.
We thank the community for their patience, as we’ve worked through lengthy consultation to ensure the facility best suits community needs, and the development application approval process.
Details of the project
The upgrades will include:
- Upgrade of electrical main switchboards capacities of main building
- Construction of new permanent building (extension for new building), adjacent to main one (replacing current “demountable” building)
- Increased areas for community activities catering to broader community groups
- Improved technological facilities for multimedia presentations
- Improved comfort (all year round) within the new construction
- Increased areas to support current MoW activities
- Redesign of external areas – parking, circulation and landscaping
$300,000 Community Development Grants which will go towards the extension for new building.
$30,000 Bushfire Recovery Program which will go towards the improvement for existing building.